Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Warner's Service



We had Warner's service on May 17, 2010 and it was so perfect. There was an amazing, calming Spirit there the entire time. We had someone in Billings make a casket for Warner, and it was absolutely perfect...isn't it beautiful!? He made it on such short notice and I am so happy that we were able to get him to do it.

So many of our family members were able to be at Warner's service, and it was such a strength to us. Many people traveled far to be with us, we are so loved and blessed!

My Grandfather conducted the service. After a beautiful opening prayer by my sister, Amanda, Cody's family (Bert, Will, Missy, Sher, and Wendy) sang the 1st and 7th verse of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief":

A poor wayfaring Man of grief
Hath often crossed me on my way,
Who sued so humbly for relief
That I could never answer nay.
I had not power to ask his name,
Whereto he went, or whence he came;
Yet there was something in his eye
That won my love; I knew not why

Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in His hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name He named,
“Of Me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be;
Fear not, thou didst them unto Me.”

It was beautiful. It was honestly hard to listen to because the Spirit was so strong, but I am so glad that they were able to sing it for us.

After the song my dad, Jim, spoke. He talked about all of the 'Happy Moments' that we had during the pregnancy and at Warner's birth. At one point in his talk he got out his cell phone...that sounds strange, but let me finish! I had sent him a voice message on December 7, 2009 of Warner's heart beating. He played that for everyone to hear, and it was so sweet. He went one to say that his heart was always beating so strong, which it was! He also talked about how when he and Bert went to put a few things in Warner's casket that one of them was a golf ball (per request of Cody, of course!). Dad said that he would miss not being able to play golf with him here on this earth, but that he would someday get to play with him. We can't wait for that round of golf! It was fun, and sad, to hear all of the good memories that he had.

Then Bert, Cody's dad, spoke. I am not sure how to summarize his words, so I will just share a few of his thoughts with you.

"Those of us who were privileged to be witnesses to the birth of this tiny one, were in the presence of angels, who were there to welcome him back into the arms of his very loving and gracious Heavenly Father after a very brief, yet glorious few moments on earth."

"In the overwhelming joy of his birth and unspeakable grief at his passing, we were blessed to have experienced a singularly remarkable thing...the arrival into mortality of one of God's choicest spirits..and yes...his departure from mortality as well."

He did such a wonderful job, he is so well versed. At the end he said, "Warner, would you somehow let Cody and Jim know how those celestial courses play?!" It was so funny! We are so thankful for our amazing fathers and the words that they shared.

Then my Grandpa Stan spoke and shared some amazing, uplifting words with us. He is an outstanding man and we are so blessed to have him in our lives. He shared some scriptures with us, and a couple of our favorites were:

John 9:1-3
"And as Jesus passed by, he saw a blind man which was blind from his birth, and his disciples ask him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered , Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents; but that the WORKS OF GOD SHOULD BE MADE MANIFEST IN HIM."

3 Nephi 17:21-24
"...he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them. And when he had done this he wept again; And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones. And as they looked to behold they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were in the midst of fire; did minister unto them."

My Grandfather then dedicated Warner's grave and the service was over. It was more perfect than we ever could have imagined. We are so grateful for everyone that participated and came to support us, and especially grateful for our sweet Warner.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Chels what a beautiful day. It really was perfect just like Warner. SO sweet to hear Jm's talk. I love you and think of you all the time! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. He was just perfect. And, the service was perfect, too. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the service went so well. I'm so glad! You have an amazing family. You're so strong Chels. I think of you often. Miss you =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounded like the most perfect service! Thank you for sharing! You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure why I went back and read this post again. Maybe because it's so beautiful and well written. I can feel the spirit just reading it.
    And I love that you and Crystal are friends! Wish I was there in the neighborhood with you two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog, sorry for your loss, but I believe in Heavenly Father's plan for us and know Warner can live again with you for all eternity. He recieved an Earthly body and now waits for you to be reunited in heaven.

    ReplyDelete