Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Smiling Baby!


We had our second appointment with Dr. R., our perinatologist. Stop holding your breath...it went wonderful! We were so happy/relieved that Baby W was still doing so well. His arms and legs are still short, but we don't care! We just want his torso to continue growing properly, and it is going down the right course now. In the picture above he was opening and closing his mouth! So funny! (His arms are across his chest, the little thing that looks like an arm isn't...don't worry, it's not quite that small!)
Okay, seriously, how cute is he?! (I know, I know, I am the mommy!) When the tech rolled over his face, both she and Dr. R. began laughing because of how big Baby W was smiling at us! I felt such a calming feeling, like he was saying, "Mom, Dad! STOP worrying about me!!!" It was so fun to see his handsome little smile.

I had all sorts of questions for Dr. R., and he was so patient with us. Here are some of the questions I asked, because I am sure that some of you have the same ones...

-Is there an increased chance of hydrocephalus(water on the brain) because of his skeletal dysplasia? No, he has just as much of a chance of this as any AH(average height) person.

-Will Baby W need any surgeries immediately after birth? As of right now, no. He is just achondroplasic, and will only require LOTS of testing when he is born. At his birth, there will be a Genetic Doctor who will assess him to all ends. Then we will go from there! Anyway, if it turns out that he is just achondroplasic, no surgeries right after birth! Woo-hoo!

-How do his arms and legs look? Very normal for achondroplasic babies, small but healthy. I was worried from his last ultrasound that he only had a femur bone, and was missing his tibia and fibia. (I know this sounds crazy, but it does happen in LP's. They simply have a femur bone with a foot.) Today we were able to see the femur, tibia and fibia bones and they look great! Also, at the last US, Baby W had his hands all curled up in a ball. Dr. R. had said that he really wanted to see his fingers stretch out in the next few visits to see him. Today the little man had his fingers intertwined across his chest...Good Job Buddy! He did just what the doctor wanted...spread those fingers out. We were especially excited for this because even Little People can play golf...and we are really counting on him to be the first LP in the PGA!

-Genetic testing...dun, dun, dun...do we need to do it? Now or after Baby W's arrival? Well, we CAN do it if we want after Baby W is born; but it does seem, um, silly. It is scientifically proven that Baby W's achondroplasia simply comes from a gene mutation, not from us. For more info on this, you can refer to this post.

-Will I go full term? Yes, as of now, I can plan on a full, 40 week delivery. That puts us still on June 23, Cody and I's 3rd anny!

-When will I feel him move? We are not sure. Dr. R. said that he would want me to feel him start rolling over in the next few weeks, but that is not a definite. I won't feel him kick or punch me like an AH(Average Height) baby, just the rolling and squirming, so this makes it take a little while longer.

-Should we be speaking with Pediatricians, etc? At our next visit we will get the names of a few pediatricians in the area who are familiar with skeletal dysplasia. I would like to meet with one soon after that so I can learn a little better how to prepare for any of Baby W's special needs. He will pretty much be treated like an AH baby, from what I can understand, but will need extra support of his head/back. From the little research that I have done it seems that some things can be damaging to his spine developing correctly, such as canvas seats with no real support and carrying backpacks and slings. I want to make sure that I am not buying things that will be harmful to my little dude!

Overall, Baby W looks wonderful. Right now his ribs are growing along with his organs and torso, so that indicates that Baby W's form of skeletal dysplasia is not lethal. We hope and pray that he continues down this path but know that whatever our Heavenly Father has in store for us is what we will take! We are so in love with this little guy. We can't thank you enough for all of your prayers on our behalf, by all means, keep them coming!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, Chelsea, this is such wonderful news and information. It did answer so many questions that I have. We love you and Cody and Baby W so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such great news!!! Even though I didn't know anything about Max's diagnosis when I was pregnant, he is 100% everything I could have hoped for. I always tell him that his legs may be short but they will walk him all over this earth! (he's only 6 months old tho so he just looks at me and grins when I say anything!!). So nice that you can be equipped with so much information before he is born! :-) LOVE the smiles in the U/S pictures!! Such a cutie already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea!

    I found your blog from Kim's. I am Trisha, Mom to Caden (almost 3, Achondroplasia). Welcome to our Family! I can tell from your posts that you and Cody are well on your way to being Excellent parents! Please let me know if you have any questions ... I can tell you that Achon kids are the CUTEST!!! I can't wait to "meet" Baby W.

    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I am dying over how adorable his little smile is! So precious. Glad that you had a great appointment and it sounds like you got most of your questions anwsered. I have no doubt that with Cody as a dad and Jim as a grandpa Baby W will be the first LP in the PGA! Love you guys, so glad everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for a good appointment. One thing I would not worry too much about is movement. I don't agree with your doctor on that. It really depends on the size of the baby. Some achons are born and not diagnosed for many months and nothing seemed amiss. Preston was 19 1/2 inches at birth. He punched, kicked, squirmed, etc. He was a VERY active baby. So I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the movement you do feel. I am also happy to see more of the "family" has found you here and as you can see we are very close knit. Our kids are the cutest.
    We will help you along with way! It appears Baby W is on his way to being super healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay... I love the pics!! WE are so happy that all his parts are growing as they should right now!! Keep us posted!!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear the good news, and I love the 3-D picture of Baby W smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooo Hooo! That picture is priceless! I LOVE it. You should frame that one! It is great to see all of the support especially from those who have been in similar situations! We love you guys and I can't wait to have another baby around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think in his 3D pic that he looks like he knows something we don't all know and he is smiling about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the update Chelsea. You are right, those are the questions I was wondering as well. You are so wonderful to share your experience with us. I LOVE the US pictures, and that sweet babies little smile. What a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute smile! If he needs extra support of the back/neck will he have an increased chance of having scoliosis? You should probobly check, just in case!
    ~lots o' love,
    Livvy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your blog from another blog...I'm in love with your Ultrasound of Baby W...God is so good, isn't He???!!!! Your attitude shines and I find it a blessing! He is going to be such a blessed baby, but my guess is he is already doing some blessing of his own. :) Congratulations on having a sweet, healthy baby!
    My prayers are with you...I have lots of BOY advice, too, I can offer (ha ha) because I have three of my own! LOL!!
    AmberK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, you guys! You will be fabulous parents and your little boy will be so lucky to have you! You're all in my and Josh's thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear he is doing good! He smile is just plain adorable. We are thinking and praying for you everyday!

    We love ya!
    Nels and Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  15. That picture is soooo cute! He is going to be a cute little kid!

    ReplyDelete