Saturday, March 20, 2010

Difficult news...praying for the best!

Baby W was chit-chatting with us during our ultrasound, moving his lips all over the place! It is so fun to see him moving around in there, because I don't always feel him. I have been feeling him way more often though, which is so great! I love to feel him rolling around, getting hiccups (just once) and getting a tiny nudge here and there. He is sitting SO low right now! I have just started to have some sciatic pain, which is not fun at all! I guess I can't complain though, because I have had a pretty perfect pregnancy.

We saw Dr. R. yesterday, and he gave us the news that we o-so-didn't want to hear. Baby W's 'achondroplasia' diagnosis has been changed to a type of dwarfism called 'thanatophoric dysplasia' (which I will now just refer to as "TD"). TD is lethal in 90-95% of cases in the first few days of life. The pictures that we have really help explain it a little better.

The picture above is from Baby W's back side. His head is on the right, stomach/bum on the left. As you can see, his ribs (toward the right) are 'bowing in'. They should be more of an oval shape.

The picture above is just of baby W's mid-section. You can see the white lines on each side of him in a slight "S" shape, these are his ribs 'bowing' in, instead of out. In an average child, the baby's more of an oval shape than our little man. His stomach and head continue to grow as they should, as well as all of his organs. Unfortunately, his heart and lungs are located in the upper part of his body, within the ribs. They are also able to continue to grow, but the area that they take up is not able to house them as they get larger. Right now, I am breathing for Baby W. He is not using his lungs at all, so this doesn't pose a huge problem until he is born and tries to breath. There is no room for his lungs to expand and breath for himself. From what we understand, he should be okay until birth (at this point in time) and at that time they will try their best to assist him in his breathing. They can only inflate his lungs so far without the pressure from the ribs working against the doctors, therefore having the lungs burst. Hopefully Baby W will keep his ribs large enough to house his lungs without problems.

Baby W did show some growth, which we were very happy to see. If we see the growth stop, there is a chance that we would deliver Baby W in just 5 weeks from now. If he continues to grow, at 36 weeks, which is 9 weeks from now, we will decide whether to deliver or continue until 40 weeks. It all depends on what he decides to do in there.

We are praying to beat the odds and make it into the 5% of survival cases, but know that whatever happens we can be with our little man again after this life. Keep him in your prayers!

23 comments:

  1. I just love him, just seeing those sweet pictures. I had forgot to ask you about feeling him move, I am so glad you've been feeling him! We love you and Cody so dearly and are thinking of you ALL of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea, thanks for sharing your news. We think of you and Cody often and keep your sweet beautiful baby in our prayers. What a darling, loving mother you are! We love all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even sure what to say other than I'm sorry, I'm sure that was really hard news to hear, it breaks my heart for you. We will keep the prayers coming though and hope for the very best! Let me know if you you ever need anything, or to talk, or just to cry with. I'm always here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. You are all on my thoughts and in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Chels, thanks so much for keeping us all updated. You are such an amazing mother already and I know that whatever happens, Baby W is so lucky to have you and Cody as parents. We are constantly praying for you 3. Heavenly Father is watching over you and all is in his hands. Love the ultrasound pictures, what a cute little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing...and thanks for the update. Definitely not the news we all wanted to hear, but it will all work out. We are praying for you and baby W!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chels, I don't know what to say. I wish I had something amazing to say to make you feel all better! I just love you, and want you to know you are in my thoughts all the time. You are so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love you, Cody, and baby W so much and you are in our thoughts and prayers everyday! You are such a strong example and I wish I could be there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Chelsea, I am so sorry about the latest news. I too wish I had just the perfect thing to make you feel better. I think about you and Cody and your sweet baby a lot. I really wish there was something I could do to help. You are a great example to me. I will keep the three of you in my prayers. -Lizzy

    P.S. I love the necklace. What a perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chelsea~
    While I know sometimes it's hard to find the positives, remember that there are several LP parents who have been given false diagnosis' for their little ones, and today, those little ones are growing and thriving! Baby W is a true blessing! I am praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chelsea I admire your strength and courage during this trying time! Thanks for sharing your story and know that you are in my prayers!! My heart goes out to you and Cody!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Faith not fear.
    Faith not fear.
    Faith not fear!

    Keep praying, you know you have many in prayer for you all.

    My heart and prayers are with you, your hubby and your sweet baby W.

    If we'd ever meet, I'd hug you! :)

    Sending Hugs and Prayers Your Way
    Amberk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this update and strengthening us with your example as you are finding your own strength within. You and Cody and Baby W are in our prayers and I know the Lord hears!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really all in God's hands now isn't it? As hard as it is for everyone, if he is meant to be in the 5% then he will be, and if not, you will have given him life and love and will have him forever some day. It must be so very hard... and of course you have been in my prayers many, many times. If he is taken home to the God who made him, it must be because he is so very special and needed on the other side for a great purpose. If he makes it, he has been given such special parents to get him started. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am holding Baby W in my prayers. I was givin just awful news as here I am four years later. I am praying that God's plans are the same for Baby W. He is already such a loved little boy. Ultrasounds are tricky. Have they thought about a 3D one to even get better pictures? Please keep us updated if you can. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Josh and I are thinking about you guys! Take care--sending lots of good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know what to say, but I want you to know that you and Cody and Baby W are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You and Cody are amazingly positive and inspirational parents. I am so happy to see that Baby W has parents that will give him the love and devotion that he needs! We will keep him in our prayers and wish for the best! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh chels!! I am so sorry!! oh man I'm shocked right now!! That is a pregnant mothers nightmare, finding out something wrong with their little baby! You are in my prayers chelsea!! I wish you and your little one the best!! wow, if any mom could survive this trial its you!! Hold strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We love you all very much. Keep the faith and know that you're in our prayers and hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are praying for you and hope that baby W will be ok. I know there is no right thing to say, so just know that we care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chelsea, so sorry about the disheartening news. We will definitely keep you in our prayers for these next few days. Remember too that Heavenly Father loves you and your little one very much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sending you a ton of thoughts and prayers...and tons of love to baby W! You are so amazing I love reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete